What we've done
London 2017 tasked EdComs with helping to increase local, regional and national engagement and awareness of the World Para Athletics Championships and IAAF World Championships among teachers, pupils and their families. We created an ‘education hub’ website to host unique content created for schools and act as a portal to relevant related initiatives and opportunities.
Why is it innovative?
- This one-stop-shop for schools was created in just a few months, to ensure that we hit key dates to communicate with schools about the Championships and the schools’ ticketing offer.
- We encouraged schools and pupils to experience the event by purchasing tickets or viewing at home, by incorporating take-home activities into the resources.
- Engaging and exclusive imagery and assets provided by London 2017 were woven into the resources to ensure that the magic of the Championships shone through and helped build anticipation in advance of the events taking place in the summer.
- Blue Peter ran a competition to create mascots for the Championship. We then created a fun set of extra activities and wrote introductory content to enable the characters to introduce themselves and their values.
- Resources were linked to one of three themes aimed to bring the magic and excitement of the Championships to life within a curriculum subject.
- We used the inspiration of the Championships to capture young people’s imaginations and improve their aspirations for learning and participating in Athletics.
- The resources helped build a network of teachers and young people who act as advocates for the programme, the events and the sport of Athletics.
- 1,000 schools have registered for Starting Blocks and 100,000 children will come to watch the Para Athletics Championships.
- Educator outreach activity had a reach of almost 200,000.
“Working with EdComs has been integral to the promotion of London 2017 to schools across the UK. One of our aims has been to get students and teachers excited about athletics, and the two championships taking place this summer. EdComs created our Starting Blocks education hub that hosts curriculum and school activities, information about London 2017 and resources and learning stimulus. We are confident that this activity will contribute to a successful London 2017, and raise further awareness and engagement in young people about athletics and para athletics.”
Heather Reading, Head of Marketing for World Para Athletics & IAAF World Championships London 2017