Why is it innovative?
- As part of our long-standing relationship with E.ON to deliver STEM and energy-related outreach to primary schools, we devised and delivered Smart Kids.
- This included workshops which taught children about energy-related topics. Schools were nominated by employee volunteers who often also helped at the sessions.
- Workshops were delivered in E.ON’s key regions, boosting employee engagement through nominations (of employees’ children’s schools) and providing employee volunteer opportunities.
How does it inspire learning?
- The workshop enabled children to get in character and become scientists for the day, and take part in a series of interactive experiments.
- Comedic characters facilitated the workshop and helped children to learn facts in a fun and interesting way.
- Over two years, Smart Kids visited 194 schools and engaged over 10,000 pupils.
- Smart Kids won at the EVCOM Clarion Awards in the ‘Interactive’ category.
- The workshop was also part of E.ON’s winning entry at the Utility Week Industry Achievement Award 2014 for Community Initiative of the Year.
“Thank you for giving the children such a good time. I am not sure they realised they were learning while they had so much fun! But I am sure they will remember both the experience and the things they learned because of the way in which it was presented.”
Primary School Teacher